- They take up too much space and are therefore literally toxic to civilised urban life.
- One is moving the best part of 1000kg of which less than 20% consists of actual payload.
- Rubber-on-tarmac is inefficient compared to steel-on-steel.
- Car-based transport requires the individual to invest in and operate a very expensive and fast-depreciating item of complex and sophisticated capital equipment.
- Cars are a huge waste of time as it is impossible to spend time travelling in them in a productive way.
No technological breakthrough is going to resolve all of the drawbacks of cars as we know them today. We need a better mix of modes, including walking, cycling, buses, trams, heavy rail as well as cars. Which needs the right mix of infrastructure to make it possible to travel by different modes as appropriate.
Somehow, though, I don't think we are going to get it in Britain.